Monday, November 3, 2008

The Talent Pool and The Spark. IT's war for intelligence against the HR process.

During my day yesterday I did some musings on the "Talent Pool", and how as Senior IT Leaders we need to adapt.

Lately I have been on a number of interviews across the nation. Seattle, Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland ... and so on. The common thing that I tend to notice is that more often than not the HR people that control wave #1 of screening care less about "The Spark" and want to bring forward a candidate that meets only the technical needs and written job description of the hiring manager. These would be college degree, certifications, experience, and all the other ancillary items. But no love for the technology or fire for the work is needed?

I qualify this by saying that I have "IT", call it "The Bug", "The Knack", "The Spark" or whatever you want. You know it when you see it. It's that unspoken love for technology and your field that goes beyond the seen and into the unseen. It supersedes the known. It's a feeling you get from a person. Those rare alien-like people, that given an unreasonable deadline and a crazy time-line can make things happen in IT that can only be explained as "Monumental". These are the "Out-of-the-Box" professionals, these people have put together solutions that make you step back and think ... That works?! ... It's frickin' genius. Well Done. From now on in this post and subsequent ones, I will refer to these people as SPARKs.

I have always thought that given the proper training and empowerment SPARKs are unstoppable. In my opinion any person that has "The SPARK" is worth more than one without it. WHY? I will evaluate 4 reasons in the following days. Feel free to let me know your feedback.

STAY TUNED!!

No comments: