Wednesday, December 1, 2010

AVG Free update kill your PC?

Yeah me too :).

I have liked AVG Free as a way to protect my personal stuff for a while now. But last night I was informed by the latest edition of the client that I needed to reboot due to an update.

So I was putting that off until today. But alas, when I did do a reboot my PC was stuck in a reboot loop due to a BSOD related to a AVG component. Reboot happens when trying to go into Safe Mode as well.

How do you fix this?

Well I don't know about what you personally would do. But here is what I did to restore my system.

 Instead of trying safe mode let it try and launch start-up repair.

It won't be able to fix it. When that is done you click "finish" and then the Advanced Options link.

From there choose the command line option.

Then go to the root of your OS drive usually C:\. Once there cd to program files (x86)\AVG, then rd AVG10 /s. answer y and then proceed. That will forcefully remove ALL AVG files and you can then restart your PC.

No comments: